Mommyhood Monday // Pregnancy Story part 1

So, I've wanted to share my experience with pregnancy, birth and motherhood and have had so much fun writing about it that I hope to turn it into a series. Looking back over the past can be very therapeutic! I am going to do my pregnancy story with Lilly in two or three parts (depending on how long winded I get). So here we go!

ps- I think the one of the biggest lessons I learned from looking back over my first pregnancy is that if you don't like your attitude or how people perceive it then change it! Am I say to change who you are or to become someone else? Maybe. I know my guilt and insecurity really affected my pregnancy experience and I wish I had been strong enough to say "You know what? Maybe I'm uncomfortable now but get over it! This is an amazing thing that is happening! Share and enjoy it!"

2 months pregnant

My Lilly was a surprise. I mean obviously my husband and I knew what we were doing and that a baby could happen we just didn't expect it at the time. I remember looking down at the 8ish pregnancy tests and feeling shock. At times I felt like I was too young to be pregnant which was silly because I was 23 and had been married for three years. (Yikes! When I hear about 20 year olds getting married now I automatically think "What are they doing?!?! They are too young to get married!" hypocrite much?) It took me a long time to get used to the idea that I was pregnant. I felt like it was such an intimate experience that I HAD to share. You can only keep a pregnancy private for so long, you know?

Because I was having trouble getting used to being pregnant and the attention that comes along with it people assumed I was not happy to be having a baby. That made me sad because I didn't feel that way at all. It was such a strange mix of emotions that I still can't really explain it. I think part of it was that I had just moved back to Florida and that I didn't have any married friends and certainly didn't have any pregnant/mama friends. I also had the worst work situation I've ever experienced going on at the time. Put all that together and I felt alone/cried a lot. I had guilt due to the face that I was supposed to be shouting my happy news from the roof tops! Looking back I wish I had just cut myself a break. Not all pregnancies, mommies or babies are the same and that's ok! In fact, it is the way God intended it!  And I bet if I cut myself a break and didn't romanticize that guilt then getting rid of it would have been much easier.

Around the 6th month (I think) my attitude started to change. I became more comfortable and excited. We had found out we were having a little girl, we picked out a name. I bought clothes that actually fit (it sounds shallow but it does wonders for the self esteem). I started decorating the nursery and researching different birth plans. I'm the kind of person who enjoys a physical challenge so the idea of a natural/drug free child birth was exciting for me. But God had a different plan for me.

When I was about 8 months along I started having contractions. I chalked it up to braxton hicks but became a little weary when they became a regular, almost daily occurrence. I finally called my doctor after working a closing shift and getting them every 5 to 7 minutes for 3+ hours. He told me to go to the hospital. They had explained that patients are called back based on the severity of their situation not the order of arrival so I expected to sit in triage for several hours, go back to a room and be sent home pretty quickly diagnosed with braxton hicks. Here's what really happened. I waited about 15 minutes (starting to worry) was put into a room and hooked up to monitors (a little more worried) was told they were real contractions even though they did a test that showed I wasn't in real labor (what does that even mean? even more worried). I stayed in the hospital for a few hours while they gave me intravenous fluids then shots and pills to stop the contractions. Something was definitely up. I was sent home with instructions to take off work and rest until I could go see my doctor. I wish I had asked more questions but due to my high freak out capacity I think my brain had mostly shut down.

Unfortunately my doctor did not tell me everything was ok at my next appointment but I'll save that part for next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment