Mommyhood Monday // No to no!

Hey! No making faces!!

As a mother of a toddler I find myself saying the word "no" more then any other word in the English language. (That may be inaccurate but let's just go with it.) Naturally, I can be a controlling person. I like things to go according to plan and I like to do what I can to make that happen. I didn't even realize this about myself until I became a mother and had a little creature at my sides all the time trying to derail my plans. As you can imagine- adjusting to motherhood took some time. To be honest, I am still adjusting!

 One major adjustment for me has been learning to say no to no. It is usually the first thing out of my mouth when Lilly asks me a question. But I have realized that I really need to question my motivation and think about her request before saying the N-O word. I've found that a lot of times I am simply saying to because I don't want to do what she does. I don't want to paint right now. It's too messy. It requires too much set up and clean up. I don't want to go outside because I don't want to find her shoes (and pants) and have to chase her around. I don't want to let her walk at the grocery store because she is more likely to wander off my desired path. I realized that a lot of times my motivation for for saying no was straight up selfish and silly. And it turns out sometimes we have way more fun when I say yes! Sure, I may be more tired at night (at least I don't have trouble falling asleep) or have more to clean up or take 40 minutes to do something that should have taken 10 but in return my little girl feels loved and has possibly even learned something. 

Saying no to no has honestly improved our day to day life. Sure, saying no is still a very necessary part of parenthood but I want to embrace those moments when its not. Why not say "yes" when I can!? We fight less and hug more. And that is definitely worth losing a little bit of that control I love so dearly.

2 comments:

  1. My new years resolution for last year was to say no less, and to say yes more. It really did make a difference in everyday things that may be considered so general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is better! It sure is tricky sticking to though... ;)

      Delete